STEM Program for kids ages 9-12 and their parents.
Our 2023 program features four Virginia Tech professors presenting interactive sessions. We are hosting 2 programs: an In Person Program and a Virtual Program. The In Person Program will be held on the Blacksburg, VA Virginia Tech campus. Parents are required to take their child to lunch and to the afternoon hands on exhibits. For the Virtual Program we are mailing home packets with hands-on activities that kids and parents will do with VT undergraduates virtually. Both programs will attend a morning Interactive Session with a Scientist.
The In-Person Program will be offered on the Virginia Tech Campus. The Virtual Program will be offered online via Zoom, and participants will receive a home packet in the mail with hands-on activities.
Saturday, Jan 28th, Feb 18th, Mar 18th, and Apr 1st, 2023
In-Person: 9:30am to 3:30pm each day
Virtual: 9:00am to noon each day
Spring 2023 Registration Procedure
- Online enrollment begins on Oct. 17, 2022
- 250 children will be accepted into the In-Person Program
- 75 children will be accepted into the Virtual Program
- Registration is on a “first-come, first-served” basis that is open to children satisfying the age restriction (ages 9 through 12 as of September 30, 2022), regardless of place of residence or academic achievements. A waiting list will be available after registration is full for the program.
- During registration please make sure your address is correct and you will need to know your child’s t-shirt size (sizes available are youth small, youth medium, youth large, adult small, adult medium, adult large, adult XL).
In order to keep up with the costs of providing a quality program, there will be a nonrefundable and nontransferable registration fee of $75.00 per child for the In-person program, and $50 per child for the Virtual program, payable upon registration. The registration fee must be paid at the time of registration; we now accept debit/credit cards! Parents have an option to apply for a scholarship for your child at the time you register online. If you have any questions regarding the scholarship, please email Dr. Kristy Collins.
A KTU t-shirt will be given to all children who attend KTU.
Ways to Register
- To pay with a credit card, add the appropriate section on this page to your cart (4H-KTU-01 – In-Person OR 4H-KTU-01 - Virtual). We suggest using the Family/Group checkout feature. Instructions for using the Family/Group checkout feature can be found here. Since there is an age restriction for this program, please be sure you enter each child's date of birth, when requested.
- To register by check, please click here. We will be back in touch with you soon to complete your registration.
- To apply for a scholarship, add the appropriate section on this page to your cart (4H-KTU-01 - Scholarsh(In-Person) OR 4H-KTU-01 - Scholarsh(Virtual)). You must complete an individual registration/application for each child attending. The registration account should be set up in the child's name, and must include an accurate date of birth. We will follow-up with you via email about your registration once we receive your scholarship application.
Questions: please visit our Parent FAQ's page.
2023 Program of Events
Our 2023 program features four Virginia Tech professors presenting interactive sessions. We are hosting 2 programs: an In-Person Program and a Virtual Program. The In-Person Program will be held on the Blacksburg, VA Virginia Tech campus. Parents are required to take their child to lunch and to the afternoon hands on exhibits. For the Virtual Program we are mailing home packets with hands-on activities that kids and parents will do with VT undergraduates virtually. Both programs will attend a morning Interactive Session with a Scientist.
January 28, 2023
2023 KTU Session 1
In this interactive session will learn about epidemiology.
February 18, 2023
2023 KTU Session 2
During this interactive session we will learn from Dr. Frimpong about various fish and wildlife conservation efforts.
March 18, 2023
2023 KTU Session 3
In this interactive session we will learn about microcirculation.
April 1, 2023
2023 KTU Session 4
During this talk we will explore various plastics and polymers. In addition to single-use applications like bottles and bags, polymers can also be used as materials in renewable energy technologies that can help address the global energy crisis and mitigate the effects of climate change.
*A limited number of scholarships are available. You may apply for a scholarship at the time of registration. Please see Ways to Register above. If you have any questions regarding the scholarship, please email Dr. Kristy Collins.
**To register by check, please follow the instructions in Ways to Register above. Someone will be back in touch with you with more details to complete your registration by check.
If you are a person with a disability and desire any assistive devices, services or other accommodations to participate in this activity, please contact Kristy Collins at 540-231-1389 during business hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. to discuss accommodations 5 days prior to the event. *TDD number is (800) 828-1120.