As part of Virginia Tech's response to COVID-19, the April section of this course has been closed for enrollment. Decisions are still being made about cancelling the course. Please keep an eye on this site for updates. If you are already registered, we will be in touch with you soon to discuss your options.
This 8- or 16-hour Food Protection Manager Certification was developed by the Educational Foundation of the National Restaurant Association. The text, ServSafe® Manager Book, is part of the Foundation’s food safety program. After completing the classroom work, participants take a national certification exam developed by the Educational Foundation, upon passing participants receive their Food Protection Manager Certification that is valid for 5 years.
The ServSafe® Manager Course is for:
~ Managers of food service operations for hotels, restaurants, schools, clubs and institutions.
~ Food and Beverage Managers
~ Catering Managers
~ Dietary Managers
Cleanliness and Safe Food Matter:
~The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimate that foodborne diseases cause 48million illnesses and 3,000 deaths annually.
~The public is concerned about cleanliness and safe food.
~ Food establishments have been closed for critical health code violations, such as pest infestation, unsanitary work environment, improper storage and handling of food, poor hygiene practices and foodborne disease outbreak.
It's the law!:
~ The latest VA food Regulation update now requires that each and every food establishment must employ at least one Certified Food Protection Manager who has supervisory and management responsibilities.
- The cost of Full Class Enrollment is $160. The fee includes textbook, exam and certification.
- The cost for Agency Group Enrollment is $130 per student with a group of 10 or more representing that agency in the same class. Please select discount during checkout. Fee includes full class enrollment
- If you'd like to purchase the class only, exam only, or retake exam only. Please contact LaSonya White, Surry County Extension Office at 757-294-5215 to qualify and receive a discount code.
- On-site registration is by Cash or Check only.
Course Materials Information
- The textbook is available in English, Chinese, Korean, and Spanish. The exam is available in Chinese, English, French Canadian, Japanese, Korean, Large Print, and Spanish. Please select your language preferences during checkout.
- The class is taught in English and all class handouts are in English, unless the class is listed as such.
- It is highly suggested that you make arrangements to obtain your book prior to class to enable you to review the material and increase the likelihood of success on the exam. If you do not receive your book prior to class, it will be brought to the class for you.
Classes are only held one or two days only, they are not week long classes and are in multiple locations each year. Please confirm you are registering for the correct class location before checkout. Each section to the right indicates the location, start dates and instructors for each class.
All payments are final and no refunds will be issued. However, a substitute can take the place of the person registered at no additional fee or the participant's class enrollment may be deferred once to another Virginia Cooperative Extension ServSafe Manager course.
All ServSafe® Manager class transactions with Virginia Cooperative Extension are in U.S. dollars.
Contact the agent instructor for more information.
At the discretion of the agent instructor, a ServSafe® Manager class may require cancellation. If the class is cancelled, the agent instructor will notify individual class participants.
The agent instructor may reschedule the class. Participants may opt to defer their enrollment to the rescheduled class or request a full refund.
If you are a person with a disability and desire any assistive devices, services or other accommodations to participate in this activity please contact LaSonya White, Surry County Extension Office at 757-294-5215/800-828-1120 during business hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. to discuss accommodations 5 days prior to the event.